[rescue] Danger Color Sidekick -or- Nokia 3300 ?

Brooke Gravitt brooke at gravitt.org
Wed Jan 14 10:37:33 CST 2004

> ssh on the sidekick is nice, no doubt about that.
> You might also look at the Sony-Ericcson P800 or
> P900.

Ouch. $549! For that, I could just stay with $print and buy a Treo 600,
and save myself the trouble of porting my number. The P800 is cool as
hell, but I'm not planning on buying another ultra-expensive phone.

> However, I heard recently from my uber-geek friend
> that AT&T has a *very* nice data plan for using your
> phone as a modem for your laptop.  It's called "Edge".
> He claims (and he's not one to exaggerate) that it
> does at least 2x phone modem speed.  He basically
> does not use the built-in modem on his laptop anymore.
> <http://www.attwireless.com/speed/>
>
> It appears to be some sort of beefed up GPRS.

Looks cool, but a little pricey (well, when added to a plan)

> AT&T will definitely get you better coverage if you
> travel a lot.

I don't travel, but my wife does. Her sisters & parents are strung all
over the US. As long as I get a national plan, she won't be roaming.

> Now, there's a flip side--AT&T will probably cost you
> more, and their customer service is not that good.  I
> like T-Mo customer service better than any of the others
> I've dealt with (AT&T, Cingular, Nextel).

I'm leaning towards T-Mobile. With the $99 national family plan + the $20
unlimited sidekick plan, I've got a pretty good match as to my previous
plan with Sprint. Anyone know if the Sidekick can be used as a wireless
modem on a PowerBook G4 running OS X?