[rescue] Mounting and Dumping

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Jan 13 18:27:55 CST 2004

Heh.  No, not what you think....

As backup for my Sun SPARCstation Classic, I've been using a DDS2 tape drive
for a couple of years.  I've been running the backups off some fairly neat
cron jobs, and it works OK.

I'm replacing the DDS srive with a Compaq 15/30 drive; we're storing a bit
more data than before, and it's more important.  The DDS drive was getting
space-tight, and the one time I had to restore from it, I had a little
trouble reading one of the tapes.

So ... in reading the ufsdump doco for Solaris 7, it really emphasizes the
need to dump only UNmounted filesystems.  So my questions are ...

1)  Is that really neccessary?

2)  If so, can I unmount, dump, and re-mount filesystems under script/batch
control?

3)  All of 'em?  If I unmount /usr or /, how do I run the program?

4)  What's a fellow to do?

I have separate filesystems for /, /usr, /var, /users (everyone's home
directory), etc., but they are all on one disk.  In running a test, it
sounded like the Classic wasn't keeping up with the DLT drive.  Would
putting the DLT on the the SunSwift card's SCSI bus help that?

Suggestions, enlightenment, and pointers appreciated.

Thanks.

-Shel

--
Sheldon T. Hall