[rescue] KVM recommendations

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Jan 13 15:28:26 CST 2004

William G. Gruesbeck Jr. wrote:

> From the list members, it sounds like I should be looking for
> an Avocent/Apex unit to get the most bang for the buck.

   Sorry I didn't pipe up earlier.
   I have Avocents running old Suns (9-pin keyboard cables & 13W3 monitor
lines) as well as newer Suns (VGA connectors & USB input), and they work
dandy.
   Some I run to rack-mount LCD panels and some to CRT displays, still no
problems (though one 480 has to be forced to talk to the LCD at a usable
resolution while all the others in that rack happily configure themselves to
something useful and rational).
   We still have some of the older LightWave Servswitches that someone
mentioned, which works great but are for the older connectors.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator