[rescue] Power question...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Jan 13 00:59:42 CST 2004

On Monday 12 January 2004 03:30, Aaron Finley wrote:
> Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > On Monday 12 January 2004 16:57, Bill Bradford wrote:
> >

> > I'd say... if you're cheap, get a standard crappy MOV surge
> > supressor, if you want something that's nice than that, get a power
> > conditioner or UPS.
> >
> > That's my $0.02.
> >
> > Pat
>
> Whats a MOV or a power conditioner going to do? Almost nothing, they
> reduce the noise by a very small amount and mostly its a wire around
> a ferrite core and a MOV and a cap or two inside the majority of
> them.

Well, the Tripp Lite ones I've seen/disassembled have a transformer and
some control electronics in them to 'regulate' the AC voltage a bit
(the electronics switch the input or output winding on the transformer
as the voltage goes up/down out of spec).  If it's heavy, it's likely
to have that in them.

Using a heavy iron-core transformer does wonders for limiting
high-frequency content (ie voltage spikes).

> A UPS producing a new sine wave.. that should work.

Hence, the suggestion. : )

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS