[rescue] Re: KVM recommendations

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 12 16:09:05 CST 2004

Bill said:

"our KVM here is dying; need recommendations for a new one.

needs to be able to have:

at least 2 consoles (monitor, kb, mouse)
and at least 32 PS/2/VGA ports (for systems)

We've got a NTI (http://www.networktech.inc) switch right now; four
heads with
32 ports and it does Sun and PC, but we don't need the Sun functionality
in its replacement."

You can't really go wrong with Apex/Avocent units. They all support
switch cascading i.e. you can buy say an 4-port 2-user switch and hang
four 8-port 1-user switches off it (this gives 32 ports but means that
only one user can be on any given slave switch at a time).

OT:

Something neat I got a few months ago is a "zero-U" Compaq KVM
switch (zero-U because there is no external hardware - just cabling) .
Basically it is a combined console extender and KVM in the form of PCI
cards that are interconnected by UTP. The PCI cards are dumb (they draw
only power from the bus - but this means they are platform
independent) and have a breakout dongle for connecting to a host
system (or another kvm etc). There is one master card and seven slave
cards - the master card site in the control workstation and allows
console access, while the slaves are daisy-chained via vanilla UTP
cabling. IIRC the maximum allowable length of all the UTP segments is
around 200 metres so you can easily tap into a building's existing
structured cabling system.

One thing I'd really like to test with this unit is hooking it up to some
ethernet fibre-UPT transceivers to test whether I can patch a console
directly into a fibre run. I estimate that the KVM is probably using
around 160mhz bandwidth, so assuming that cheap transceivers are just
basic amps inside - it might just be crazy enough to work!

Regards,

Gavin