[rescue] looking for DEC VT525

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sun Jan 11 17:14:14 CST 2004

At 02:56 PM 1/11/2004 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>Do you have any relatively cheap bits of equipment you're no-longer using
>that could help me get started in the hardware end of the game?  Like
>maybe a simple 5V/3.3V supply and a couple of breadboards?  Perhaps some
>interesting discrete logic bits that you're not using since you've gone
>to microcontrollers and the like?

There's a couple of books I'd reco to anyone intelligent wanting to get
started with electronics.  The "Art of Electronics" (often referred to as
AoE by those in the know) and maybe the "Student Manual for The Art of
Electronics".  They're written as an introductory guide to practical
electronic circuit design for physics types, as opposed to a more hobbyist
oriented outlook.  Unlike most EE textbooks, AoE emphasizes design more
than analysis (with a resultant deemphasis of the rigorous mathematics and
theory).  The student manual is a lab book of experiments, covering both
analog and digital, with a lighter tone and simplified explanations.

While some of the microprocessor stuff might be considered dated, the logic
fundamentals and analog are still very relevant.  AoE is an
investment--it's not a book that your average EE will outgrow.

newell