[rescue] SGI Challenge Memory

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Sat Jan 10 20:20:55 CST 2004

On Jan 10, 2004, at 5:32 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> I have an SGI Challenge L with three MC3 memory boards; the boards are
> fully
> populated with 16-MB SIMMs.  That's 32x3=96 SIMMs for a total of 1.5
> GB.
>
> I have another MC3 board and 12 more SIMMs I'd like to install.
>
> At issue is the memory interleaving and SIMM installation, and I'd
> like some
> advice.

At issue is the fact that you cannot install four MC3s in a Challenge
L. You also need the IO4 and an IP19 (or IP21 or IP25) installed, and
there are only five of these slots in an L.

> It also seems like having three MC3 boards in the machine might be
> mucking
> up the interleaving scheme.

It might be. 'hinv' will tell you what the system is doing with regard
to interleaving. I would guess it's using two-way interleaving.. or
possibly a combination of two-way and four-way.

ok
bear