[rescue] silencing a sparcserver 1000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 10 20:07:18 CST 2004

On Jan 10, 2004, at 3:21 PM, Dieter Montanez wrote:
>  no disrespect ... but how does Dave handle this sort of problems ....
>
> (also have a SS1000 in my home office ...)

   Simple.  I am careful to only become involved with people who are
compatible with me.

   *All* of me...not just what they pick & choose and hope to "get rid
of" what they don't like later.  That includes my hobbies, my career,
my equipment, and my cat.

   As soon as any conversations come up on that subject, I simply ask
"Are you sure I'm the person you want to be with?  This equipment isn't
going anywhere.  Ever."  One relationship ended because of that...and
frankly, I really didn't much like her in the first place.

   One thing that helps is to seek out people who *DO* things with their
lives in their house, rather than just using it as a place to eat,
sleep, and bathe.  People who have actual *creative hobbies* (meaning
"output", not "input" hobbies like reading or watching movies) tend to
understand other people who do the same.

         -Dave