[rescue] silencing a sparcserver 1000

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sat Jan 10 20:01:08 CST 2004

Something to consider....

If your not running lots of sbus cards, have limited heat internal
drives... you could try rewiring the fan setup to run the fans
connected serially....

I think the fans are 12V, so if you wire two 12V fans in serial like:

   |                |
   |   ----------   |
   |  |          |  |
 --------      --------
|        |    |        |
|        |    |        |
|        |    |        |
|        |    |        |
 --------      --------

Then drive them with the 12V feed for fans... each fan will only see
half the voltage.... it will spin slower, move less air, and be much
much quieter.

However, in doing this, be sure to make sure you don't significantly
raise your internal temperature.... or you'll have a quiet dead
machine !

The other think you could do is to use a potentiometer, resistor,
voltage regulator or something if half power is too low to get
something less than full voltage to the fans, but enough to
keep the system adequately cooled.... I'm sure there is excess
capacity in there now.... so it can be made quieter.

Since these systems were designed for a good amt of peripheral cards,
etc... you might (read... might) be able to do this and get away
with it.

I too have an 8 way SS1000, but it is not in use at this time, as
I need a friend to carry it over to the hose once I get a place
setup to run it.... then I too can worry about the noise problem.

Enjoy,

  -- Curt