[rescue] silencing a sparcserver 1000

Dieter Montanez dieter at plantcomputers.com
Sat Jan 10 14:25:28 CST 2004

 The SS1000 will run with two or even none (fans).
I've done so but onbly with only one Systemboard and single .
But than you get this annoying warnings all the time...

Stephen Sukovich wrote:

    I intend this in the nicest, gentlest way possible.  If your girl
    friend has problems and requires an 'understanding' about your hobby
    then you're going to have problems .. big ones .. later on in life.

  oh geez... when I first moved in with her she had more computers than I
  did, but sadly.... we had to get rid of a few. Neither of us could
  honestly think of what to do with a 33mhz 486 with just eisa and isa
  slots. I couldn't believe that's what she used for the longest time to
  talk with me over irc when we were in separate states. (confusion and
  insanity). There was also a labtop with a flaky power switch, and an
  inherited Pentium 200 system.

  Honestly the understanding is I cant get anything truly big like a cray
  till we get a house, and if I get anything I need to be here to pick it
  up when the delievery people show up. Since she IS a girl and cant seem
  to pick up 100 pound packages.

    Personally I think the number and noise of the fans is overkill and

  from >what I remember you could probably turn off some of them without
  damaging >anything.

  Ill try unplugging a few and seeing if I get panics or weird errors. Ill
  see what happens :)

    Oh yeah, is she cute and does she have a sister?  It is sort obligatory

  to >ask that question on this list...

  no just a few brothers and step-brothers... if you are into that...