[rescue] Looking For KVM switch info/advice

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 8 14:49:14 CST 2004

William said:

"Thanks for the input. I was looking at an Avocent rebranded to Dell kvm
switch on ebay the other day, but it went out of my price range. I also
had a chance to buy a servswitch cheaply (no wal wart ps). I'm glad I
didn't. I guess I'll just keep an eye out. Thanks again."

I've forgotten the details, but you want to switch Sun equipment on a
kvm switch correct?

Do an Ebay search for "Lightwave". They produced a five port 13W3
switch for Sun systems (under the ServerSwitch range) and you can
typically pick them up for around $20 plus shipping. Because they're
13W3 only, the PC crowd has no interest in them. I've even seen them
get passed in for $1  (see  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3068638763&category=51268)

If you want both 13W3 and HD15 on the same switch and don't want to
futz around with adaptors, get something like the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3070447006&category=51268

A bit more expensive but a useful unit to have around.

Also, don't forget to factor the cost of the KVM cables into your
calculations. This can be an unexpectedly large extra cost if you don't
budget for it.

Regards,

Gavin