[rescue] Ultra 1 - is it OK?

Corey corey at phix.com
Thu Jan 8 12:55:50 CST 2004

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Shirker wrote:
>
> > The NVRAM battery in my Ultra 1 has gone flat, it seems.
>
> > It displays the following rather disconcerting message upon switch-on:
>
> > SC Control: EWP: 0  IAP: 0  FATAL: 0  WAKEUP: 0  BXIR: 0  BPOR: 0
> > SXIR: 0  SPOR: 1  POR: 0
>
> > and then continues as normal:
>
> > Probing Memory Bank #0 ...
>
> This looks like diag-mode.  Which is often an indication your NVRAM
> went south, but not always.  I've never seen an Ultra NVRAM go flat
> before, but all the sun4c and sun4m machines I've seen with NVRAM]
> problems specifically mention the battery and/or TOD clock are bad.

[...]

Another thing that occurs when a sun4[cm] machine's
NVRAM battery dies is that the system will lose its
hostid (and hence the ethernet MAC address which is
derived from this). I too have never lost an NVRAM in
an Ultra, so I don't know if these share that behaviour.
But, if you're losing your hostID/MAC, that would be a
good indication that the NVRAM battery is dead.

---corey