[rescue] Sparc OS Install over serial

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jan 7 18:14:42 CST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Adam Kropelin wrote:

> If the PROM can keep up with commands at 9600 baud you just need a script to
> convert your binary into a series of PROM commands. Then just cat the darn
> thing out the serial port. No "server" software needed.

That's essentially what I'm saying.  However, unless you were booting
the same OS each time, you'd want a tool that could load an arbitrary
kernel image.  VTserver has the framework in place to do such a thing,
plus it can act as a terminal.

However, there's no reason that the "compiler" that generates OBP
commands from a blob of machine code couldn't be a self-contained
external entity.  That would let you do what you describe.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and