[rescue] Sparc OS Install over serial

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jan 7 11:42:00 CST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:43:11 -0600
Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> He wins, give him $5.  I've never, ever heard of anyone even *trying*
> this before.  Serial port is for console, or serial communication,
> only, not low-level bootstrapping of code.
There is vtserver. It loads an image on a disk only via serial console.
"Unfortunately" it works only on PDP-11 systems. Intention of vtserver
is to help people with complete working machines, that have only "cold"
disks, no (paper) tape or the like. That way you can prepare a disk
image on an emulator and transfer it to the machine later.

It should be possible to do somthing like that via serial console. IIRC
OpenFirmWare has functions to load an executable image via serial
console. That programm in turn can use OFW calls to write data onto a
local disk...

Or maybe a *ix kernel with build in RAM disk that runs PPP on the
console. That way you get a complete, self contained minimal system.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen