[rescue] Sparc OS Install over serial

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jan 6 20:14:00 CST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:39:24 -0500 (EST)
Mark T. Valites wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to bootstrap and install any modern OS
> (preferably some flavor of linux) to a SS or Ultra class sparc, but
> only use the serial port - no floppy, cd, network, or hard disk to
> bootstrap from. My console does _not_ need to be on the serial port.
> Googling has only turned up ways of using the serial port as concole
> during install. I was hoping there's a way to pull this off from the
> prom - does anyone know if this is possible?

It might be possible, but you'd need to bone up on FORTH programming,
because this is going to require some custom code to bootstrap from the
serial port.

Possible?  Yes.  Worth the hassle?  Probably not.

--
Kurt                   "Smoke your pipe and be silent;
kurt at k-huhn.com         there's only wind and smoke in the world."