TouchStream LP Re: [rescue] PC Cases

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Wed Feb 25 15:51:52 CST 2004

On 2004-02-25 15:47:09 -0500 Samuel Kopel <kopel at vex.net> wrote:

> Wow that looks nice. Do you type on the surface of the keyboard or
> over
> it?

You actually touch the surface, but it doesn't matter how much
pressure you use.  The lightest brush of your finger registers.  It's
fairly intelligent though.  If I put all of my fingers down at once it
knows I'm resting and doesn't start typing gibberish.  I have a
tendency to drag my outside fingers, so that is causing me a bit of
slowdown right now.

  How do you use it as a mouse? The website shows the key combos for
> mousing but doesn't really explain how it works.

Using 2 adjacent fingers of your right hand (remappable for lefties).
It doesn't matter which fingers you use, as long as they are close
together.  Tapping with 2 fingers clicks, dragging 2 fingers moves the
cursor, tapping with 3 adjacent fingers double-clicks, dragging 3
adjacent fingers does click+drag.  There are various other combos like
thumb+first 2 fingers to get a middle click.  There's no specific area
of the keyboard that is the "mousing area", you can just do it from
wherever your hand is currently resting.

  Please let me know how
> you like it after a few weeks.

I'll give my first impressions now, after 24 hours of use, and I'll
probably put up a review on my website after I've been using it for a
few weeks.

First impressions:

CapsLock is tiny and out of the way.  I will _never_ hit it by
accident.

ENTER IS STUPIDLY PLACED.  I can't get over how difficult it is to
press enter, even though they give you 3 different ways to do it (2
spots on the board+1 chord), all of them are uncomfortable in some
way. But this is really taken care of by my next point...

The customization tools ROCK.  They supply a little java app for
configuring the keyboard.  Forget xmodmap.  This is way cooler.  Why?
I can remap any key to any other key.  Fine, xmodmap can do that.  I
can remap _part_ of a key to any other key!  Not for all keys, but for
the larger keys, like shift, I can map the left and right sides of the
key to do different things.  I can create macros (whoopdeedoo, so can
any decent editor).  I can create chording macros, now those are cool.
  It's not just a fancy ergo keyboard, it's also a chording keyboard!
And, since it's a full keyboard, not something like a twiddler, I can
even create 2-handed chords.  Oh, and since the whole surface is touch
sensitive, macros can include motion (ex: dragging my thumb and middle
finger together, like I'm picking something up does 'cut', reversing
the motion does 'paste').  All the config data is stored in the
keyboard too, not in some userland app config file, so when I move it
between computers, my macros are all there, no reprogramming.  Macro
modes?  Check.  You can create macros that change all of your macros
to something else and another macro to change them all back.

Cross platform?  The config tool worked fine under Linux, OSX, and
Windows.  Haven't tried it anywhere else, since I don't have anything
else with a USB port.  It comes preprogrammed with an Emacs mode and
comes with some customized touchstream.el file, so they are obviously
UNIX friendly.  Too bad I use a real editor.  (On a side note, the
escape key is huge, so it's vi friendly too.)

It has a "gaming mode".  It sucks.  At least for first person
shooters.  Maybe I'm using it wrong, but I don't think so.  The
standard WASD+mouse doesn't work since if you put down 2 fingers at
the same time (to move at an angle) it thinks you are trying to use it
like a mouse and stops registering your key press. Constantly dragging
your fingers in the direction you want to go (which is what they
recommend) doesn't work well for high-speed combat/dodging.  I'll
probably pick up one of those gamer keypads for my left hand for
gaming, one of those things with like 10 keys and a wrist rest.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it so far.  Am I $340 happy with it?  I
don't know.  Ask me again in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Caleb