Making keys (was Re: [rescue] Serial console on IBM RS/6000 250?)

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Feb 22 15:09:01 CST 2004

Phil Stracchino declared on Sunday 22 February 2004 03:15 pm:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:11:29PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   I lived next door to a [non-apprentice] locksmith for years.
> > Many (most?) Medeco blanks are ones that the company WILL NOT SELL
> > to anyone not on file as having permission to buy them.  If you
> > have the machine (and that's a big "if"), you still won't have the
> > blanks.
>
> What's so special about Medeco blanks?  Is there something about them
> that would preclude duplicating one and making your own blanks on a
> CNC milling machine?

<shudder>
That brings back bad memories of me trying to "duplicate" a key with a
plaster-cast mold several years ago.  While it's probably *possible* it
really doesn't make any sense.  And it doesn't help this guy out since
he doesn't have the original to make a copy of...

BTW, no, I just gave up on trying the plaster mold.  I couldn't get the
key to come out of the mold quite properly.  I guess plaster molds just
aren't meant for stuff that small/precise.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/