[RESCUE] Any HP/Nextstep PA gurus about?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Fri Feb 20 16:50:52 CST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> Cdr from an ISO burned with Nero at this point. I have a copy of the
> original y2k distribution lined up but don't have the cash currently to
> pick it up.

Re-burn the image, and try to change the cdrom/HDD IDs.

I had a 755  plextor 8x combination that I had to play with until the
stars aligned and I was able to install the system.

Also NS will not see have any partition bigger than 2GB, and it is VERY
picky about the target SCSI drives if it is not on of the drives NeXT
defined in its device tab. Check NeXTanswers from peanuts.org to see if
your hdd is natively supported. As I said before I had trouble when I had
a different HDD in the system, and during that time I was thinking it was
actually the CD til I decided to try out with a supported digital drive.

In any case CD-R media is very iffy too with the NeXTstep installation. I
was able to get it to install only to barf on me in the middle of the
installation. After a few hours of meddling with it, it finally completed
and now I have NS installed and I will not be wipping it out any time soon
because it too so much god damned time to install!

I have a NS question though: I got the OpenStep for Mach CD, and I was
wondering if that allows a NS running on PA-RISC to upgrade to OpenStep. I
know they dropped support for Sparc when they released OpenStep, but they
say nothing about the PA-RISC mach stuff.