[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 15, Issue 62

Ross Bernheim rossber at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 17 22:06:03 CST 2004

On Tuesday, February 17, 2004, at 10:45 AM, rescue-request at sunhelp.org
wrote:

> The mentality, as it's manifested itself to me is very simple:
>
>    1) Money is an indicator of importance.
>    2) Suits (generally) make more money than geeks.
>    3) Suits manage "important" things.
>    4) Ergo, suits are important, and what they understand is important.
>    5) If they don't understand it, it's not important.
>
> Which is why you have bosses who think you can call up $chipHaus and
> order "fixit parts" to correct a design error, and why I'm blue in the
> face here explaining why a Windows-based IDS is neither necessary nor
> prudent for detecting intrusions on the Windows LAN, and why, in both
> instances, it's not a question of right vs. wrong but a question of why
> that long-haired guy is being a pain in the ass again.

Reminds me of some time spent in the military. Ossified officers. The
old
saw about the most dangerous thing on the battlefield being a lieutenant
with a map.

Point being, there was a bit of wisdom among the NCO's that the best way
to do in a superior was to do exactly as they ordered, to the letter.

First is to remember, they are the manager and know it all. If they say
do it,
do so. If they ask for advice, give it. If they follow it, good. If
not, they are
just committing sepiku. If they don't ask for advice, it is all on them.

When the Panatone colored stuff hits the rotating air mover, it is all
on them.
Your posterior is fully covered because either he did not ask for, or
ignored
your advice.

If he tries to dump on you, then you can point out that he either did
not ask
for your advice or ignored it. All on him.

Enjoy.

Ross Bernheim