[rescue] Resurrecting an IBM RS/6000 model 590

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Feb 8 22:57:22 CST 2004

On Feb 8, 2004, at 8:13 PM, Eric Webb wrote:
>>> 	Beleive or not, I do have the key.  It is still in its keyring with
>>> copy key and a little metal tag. =)
>>
>>    Jeeeeze...You got a 590 *with its key*.  I am rather jealous here.
>> 590 is a very respectable system.
>
> Umm, I think we have two of these, with keys, sitting by the dumpster
> at work.
> Handful of video adapters, SCSI cards, token ring adapters, even a
> PrestoServe card in one of them.
>
> I'm kind of surprised anyone would be interested in these things.

   A 590 is a 66MHz POWER-based RS/6000 that can take up to 2GB of RAM.
It is a very capable system despite its low clock rate, especially for
floating-point work.  The 590 was pretty much top-of-the-line for a
long time.  I know several people who would very much like to get their
hands on one, myself included.

>   But if you
> are out there, let me know and I can try asking the powers...   I may
> get
> points for cleaning up the place :P  (I got a 7012-390 and 7043-150
> from work
> once decommed, so the likelihood is good.  There's a 7012-E20 that was
> just
> decommed, and still the likelihood of a few 7015-R50's in 12-18
> months.)

   Yes, please do rescue this stuff.

> While I'm on the subject, there is a couple pallets of 7043-140's that
> they
> want to get rid of for ~$150 (mostly 332's with 256MB, 10/100 ethernet,
> various graphics, 4.3G disk, and P200 tube).  Is this a good price?

   I don't know much about the 7043s (never dicked with anything quite
that new) but I'd guess it's a 332MHz PPC 604 or 604e...if that is
correct, I'd definitely pay $150 for one.

          -Dave