[rescue] speaking of older sparcs

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Feb 6 18:29:22 CST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    sparc 4s, meaning SPARCstation-4s, or Sun4/xxx systems?  I assume you
> mean the former.  Those are 4m machines, and are supported by current
> releases of Solaris.

But only until Solaris 10 is released.  Nothing older than a U30 or U5
is supported, from what I've heard.  Yes, that includes the U1 and U2.

I wonder if that's a function of sbus going away (which would screw over
a lot of people with Exx00 systems) or a function of support for only
UltraSPARC-II and newer.

It sucks that the single greatest workstation[0] Sun ever made (the
Ultra 2) will have the shortest supported lifespan.

[0] The reason their stock symbol is SUNW is because their original
    concentration was on workstations.
--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and