[rescue] (OT) advice sought ... Mac 'book cleared for purchase

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Feb 5 17:16:17 CST 2004

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 05:48:36PM -0500, John B. Lee wrote:
>
>>I think it really depends on what you want to do with it, and how you
>>are going to use it. When I got my iBook, I figured that I would mostly
>>be writing and e-mailing. The standard stuff. Now I find myself doing a
>>lot more coding, and statistical data analysis (boy, does SAS take up
>>screen real estate) and wishing that I had gone for a 15" powerbook
>>instead.
>

> Yes, I am really torn.  For the price of a G4 17" Pbook I could maybe
> get a low-end G4 desktop + low-end ibook... but would I be OK with
> that...?

There's not a lot of upgrades available yet for the 'books,
but I imagine that will change as the G3 line falls off
the radar more.

You might also consider going with the higher-end 'book, and
getting a used G4 desktop since they are so easily upgraded.

I'm pretty damned happy with the G4 400Mhz at home that I
bought used.  I wish it had AGP, but the ~$350 I paid for it
after I replaced the HD and put in a PCI Mac Radeon video
card is pretty tough to beat.

=Nadine=