[rescue] restorations and keyboards

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Feb 3 09:23:59 CST 2004

Dan Duncan said ...
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > On the inside, they tend to be uprated to a little better spec than the
> > "as-built."  More memory and more disk space, usually.  Sun originally
> > delivered my SPARCclassic, for example, with 16 MB of RAM and a
> > 424 MB hard drive.  It runs a _lot_ better with 128 MB and 4.5 gigs....
>
> Uh oh... You don't think less of me for using a dremel tool to cut
> away the floppy mask and give one of my SPARCclassics an internal
> tape drive, do you?

Not in the least.  I have, in fact, considered exactly the same
modification.

Now, if what we had were the last two SPARCclassics in the Known Universe,
it would be diffo, but Sun made the little buggers by the thousands, so
we're not spoiling history.  Besides, I've got several, plus an LX and an
IPX, so if the "save a lunchbox for history" movement catches on, we'll
still be OK.

Speaking of your mod, though ... how did you arrange the SCSI cable?  Did
you have to terminate it?  I'm not likely to put a tape drive in mine, but a
second hard drive might be interesting.

-Shel