[rescue] Mail Server

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Dec 22 12:20:34 CST 2004

>I started out with Sendmail, and I wouldn't recommend it for beginners.  I
had
>problems with flexibility and security originally (well I was running an old
>version of it, with no security patches lol ;) - this was back in '00 i
think)
>My sendmail implementation I mentioned above led to a system compromise

Not unusual.  Unfortunately.

>I currently use qmail (and have been using it ever since the sendmail
security

>Isn't Exim also a drop-in Sendmail replacement?

Yep.  More or less, it can be.  But there have to be some changes and
ownership and permissions switches and such.

>well I love it ;) haha - it's running on a Compaq Proliant 6500 machine with

Those who like it, and there are quite a few, like it a lot.  I have no
personal animus against the program, its users or designers; I just find it
non-intuitive and do not like to make that many changes to the way I
normally do things just to accomodate one program (that I can do without
and use a different one that doesn't give me so many hassles).

And I have memory-envy.  768 megs on the main dual-xeon 866's, but I would
love to full-boat that board with 4 gigs.  Can't afford that much, though.
RAMBUS --  Pricey.  Me -- Underpaid.

--
wes will