[rescue] O2K Smoke test - now with real smoke

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Fri Dec 17 08:55:13 CST 2004

> I need to go back and do Real Work for now, but my next steps would probably
> be to pull all the XIO boards and re-seat all the node boards on the lower
> module and try again. If that failed, I would leave the XIO boards out, and
> try one node board at a time, swapping different node boards into the first
> slot.

So, after a board re-seat and power connection re-seat, I fired up the
machine again.

Both modules reported "SYS OK" for a second, and then the lower module made
a nice "whump" sound followed by a "PS FAIL" message and that sickly-sweet
smell of now-dead components :-(

It looked like the upper module was still coming up fine when I hit the main
power cutoff to the rack...

I guess that means it's time to concentrate on the upper module in the rack,
and start to shop around for an Origin2K rack power supply. I'm not sure if
I want to try much more with anything in the lower rack if the PS is in that
bad of a state.

If anyone has the bits to turn the upper module into an Origin2K deskside,
that might be an option also <grin>.

Steve