[rescue] Booting SATA on an old BIOS

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Wed Dec 8 12:20:19 CST 2004

In the PC world, Option ROM option in the BIOS can usually be
used to boot from an add in controller card, such as a SATA card.

This is not normally used for SCSI, but i have used them for both
SATA cards and upgraded PATA adapters.

/KRM

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:23:14 -0600
Wes Will <wwill at siu.edu> wrote:

> >And I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "option ROM"...
>
> OS on a chip, most times socketed directly into the
> motherboard.  Replaces or supplements the BIOS.  Sometimes can
> be an adapter board, with a firmware OS and some sort of kludge
> to get the beast to boot from a non-disk disk.  Might not be
> available for your hardware (I wasn't paying attention to the
> thread).
>
> Without a BIOS update with the SATA option (unless you have
> considered writing your own BIOS patch and burning an EEPROM, a
> personalized update, per se) you are just not going to get this
> to boot from the SATA disk. Consider a minimal floppy or CD
> boot with the main files on the SATA drive and a set of SATA
> drivers?  Or some tiny old hard disk stuck in there just to get
> things rolling.
>
> --
> wes will

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/