[rescue] Nice carrying case for PowerBook?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 14:50:49 CST 2004

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:40:30 +0000, bitrot <bitrot at cat5.be> wrote:
> I am looking for a hard pizza box like enclosure for my powerbook as I
> travel a lot and carrying a craptop bag just screams steal me.
>
> I mean how hard is is to get a nice slim case for your powerbook that
> Will protect it from hard, crushing, other books in backpack. Etc.
>
> ALL RECOMMENDATIONS in open forum welcome.

I just went through this myself, and settled on a new REI backpack
called the Megabyte.

If you are looking for a slip-case type thing that can be converted to
carry just the laptop, take a look at Timbuk2's stuff, specifically
the Laptop Tote:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=24

REI has other sleeves as well; if you have a store close, check it
out.  They sell this model of Timbuk2.

If I'd have had more time (but it was a case of the PB arrived on
Tuesday afternoon, and I needed something to carry it the next day on
my flight back to VA), I likely would've gotten the Booq BP3 system
instead of the Megabyte:

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=44

They also have "sleeves", but they're a bit pricey if you're going that route.

Other's swear by Tom Bihn's "Brain Cell":

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/_all/TB0300

(And yes, I know I have a bag/backpack "problem."  I doubt I will get
over the "issue" until I design and build the perfect backpack(s)
myself. :-)

But if you really want a crush-proof container, I'd say get a Pelican
case or similar.  There was a company at MacWorld last Jan. that had a
case for the Powerbooks that a truck could run over...

=Nadine=