[rescue] SGI Crimson, still no go

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 12:32:23 CST 2004

I have a Crimson I've been trying to get up and running. I had set it
aside for the past few months. I had issues with the CDROM (or so I
tought). Well, I've since gotten a CDROM for the Challenge L. I tested
the Irix CDs on it and can boot so I know it works. I moved it from
the Challenge tray to the Crimson brackets. Put it on bus 0, id 4
(required on crimsons apparently). HD is on bus 1, id 1 (id 0 is the
crimson).

Invariably, I get a file not found trying to boot -f
dksc(0,4,8)sash.IP17 (or variations). ls dksc(0,4,8) and dksc(0,4,7)
also gets an: ls file not found.

I'm thinking I might have a termination error (altough hinv does show
both the cdrom and harddisk). Should the SCSI connectors at the bottom
be connected together or terminated or?