[rescue] memory error on Ultra 1 - what should I do?

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Wed Aug 25 09:40:22 CDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:13:53AM -0400, Michael Horton wrote:
> it means the slots are bad.
>
> the systemboard should be replaced.
> or, at least, don't use the banks that the bad slots are part of.

Therein lies the problem - AFAIK, Ultra 2s *must* have the first 4 memory
slots occupied in order to run, and the 2 suspect slots are in those first
4. Oh well, I only use it as a learning tool/toy, and the machine knows
how to deal with the errors, so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

- Mike

p.s. - This machine is a dual 200 Mhz Ultra 2 - my first SUN4U machine -
and I'm surprised at how snappy it is for workstation use, even with the
only spare framebuffer I had lying around, a TGX :)