[rescue] Ultra 10 Ram?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Aug 5 13:24:18 CDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 05:33:28PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:26:10 -0400
> Brooke Gravitt <gravitt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Where is the best place to get the cheapest (pennywise) RAM that will
> > work in an Ultra 10? I remember paying Sun and ungodly amount for the
> > stuff back in late  '99 for some of our test boxes. You can use some
> > type of PC ECC ram, right?
> Depends on what RAM your PeeCee needs. ;-)
>
> The U5/10 needs 3.3 V buffered / registered EDO (not SDRAM!) ECC DIMMs.
> I have some Motorola PowerStack II PReP machines that use this kind of
> RAM too. This RAM was also common on PowerMacs of the PPC603 / PPC604
> vintage.

Ack, and here I said 5V, when your right, it is only 3.3V.

Does the Macs 7x00 and 8x00 that take this ram really require
buffered/registered, or does it just accept them?

If I had a dimm tester that could properly report everything, I'd be a
lot more willing to just buy stuff, and sort out what it properly is, in
hopes of getting what I need.