[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Mon Aug 2 00:31:20 CDT 2004

> Yep, but its still a "tacked-on" solution.  For example, you need
> VT100 to get into the BIOS, as it expects a full-screen display.
> bill

Oh definitly, it isn't exactly like the SGI Prom / Sun openboot / DEC SRM
console. But I believe it does LOM, and for the most part the PC bios
doesn't need to be accessed and doesn't provide the same facilities that
the unix workstations did.

Even on Sun, if you have a 3rd party expansion card in the openboot prom
you can't probe shit on the bus and such. PC is less closed and faces
those issues more.

Same with SGIs. You can't see some cards from the prom busting out hinv's
and such since it isn't official SGI cards supported by the software in
the openboot prom.

EISA I think had some crackhead setup where each vendor could drop
software on a partition on the drive to configure that particular board I
think? I never did much with EISA, but I remember reading something about
that. Kind of like the compaq utilities, only it was supposed to be so you
could extend setup functionality to 3rd party cards.

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460