[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 30 23:46:52 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:26:43PM -0400, Eric Webb wrote:
>> Aww, fuck.
>
> He does this every six months or so.  Subscribes, blows a gasket when
> the "x86 vs. RISC" or "PCs can be workstations" arguments pop up, and
> then
> leaves again.

   Don't worry, I won't be "blowing a gasket" around here anymore.  I
have no interest in trying to explain the *facts* (not "opinions") to
people who make uninformed statements about things they know absolutely
nothing about.

   PC downtime in Patrick's colo facility is not an "opinion".  A
38-second login on my 1.6GHz Athlon versus a six-second login on my
Ultra60 is not an "opinion".  But somehow, when people say "PCs are
great!" it's a "fact", and when someone says "PCs suck!" it gets
labeled as an "opinion".

   No thanks.

   As I've said to Bill privately, this notion of "who cares, they're
just computers" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  What,
exactly, do you suppose would happen if computers just suddenly stopped
working...you know, kinda like the PCs in Patrick's colo when he was
out of town.  What would happen in airplanes?  Car engines?  Hospitals?
  This stuff *is* important.  How it was designed, and how it works,
*is* important.  Try to make it through ONE DAY without using a
computer (and your microwave oven counts, unless it's one of those
cheapies with a mechanical dial timer) and you might understand what I
mean.

   Later folks.  It's been fun.  Try to get some perspective, eh?

          -Dave