[rescue] OS for PA-RISC

Todd Carson tc+rescue at jc.dsl.telerama.com
Fri Apr 30 22:18:15 CDT 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 22:56, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:

> I got a 712 (also from Lionel, thanks), it looks like the NetBSD port is
> abandoned, only a -CURRENT snapshot and no updates on the port/hp700 site
> in 2 years.

OpenBSD's hppa port is actively supported (3.5 was just released today and
added support for more PA-RISC machines), but there are large pieces missing,
which may or may not be a problem depending on what you want to do. The
install can (I think) only be done by netbooting. There's no X server and
there are no shared libraries. There's also no support for parallel ports:
that's what got me to give up and use HP-UX instead, since I wanted to use
the machine in part as a print server for a LaserJet with no JetDirect.

Aside from NetBSD and OpenBSD, I think the only free OS that runs on PA-RISC
is Linux, which I haven't tried.