[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 30 15:05:00 CDT 2004

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 @ 14:32 -0400, Dave McGuire said:

> >>3D is a requirement for your desktop applications?
> >
> >I didn't say 3D, I said 'nVidia' and you assumed 3D.
>
>   Was it not you who complained about the 3D performance when saying
> that Suns are "slower" than PCs?

Yes, but not above.  Context switching in English is obviously not too
good either... :)

For my daily work, I don't care about 3D.

Of course, I wouldn't want to lose it since my current XFree server uses
OpenGL hardware to accelerate X now.

>   Eh...I've not been impressed (mine is a GF2) but perhaps it's not
> configured for any sort of acceleration.  I rarely use that machine at
> the console.

What driver do you run?  If you use the open source nv driver,
performance will indeed be bad.

The driver and video situation in the PC/UNIX works is not good right
now.

There is basically nVidia and Radeon, and Radeon isn't an option for
a lot of people.

There is a new 3D card maker out there (or maybe a resurrected one) and
they have active Linux support.  Don't know much about them yet, but a
local user just bought one of their cards and I hope to hear more about
it.

> >Also, the 3D hardware has functions which can be used to accelerate 2D
> >operations.  New releases of X use it for speeding up things like alpha
> >channels and fonts, and Apple has done the same thing too by having
> >OpenGL accelerate parts of their GUI code.
>
>   ...which is pretty damn cool.

Very.  You need it too, with all that eye candy going on.

That's the path the XFree team is taking.  They are going to gradually
put expensive stuff in the 3D engine.

No use letting that 3D engine sit idle, right?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every