[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 30 13:27:15 CDT 2004

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 @ 13:38 -0400, Dave McGuire said:

> >Have you run Gnome on both?  If you found the Sun just as fast,
> >what kind of graphics board do you have?
>
>   I run Gnome on both.  The Sun has an Elite3D-M3, which I'm trying to
> replace with a Creator3D for faster 2D performance (I don't do any 3D
> stuff) and higher resolution.

I'd like to see a decent review of all the Sun cards on 2D and 3D
performance.

> >Every U60 I sat down at had relatively low end graphics and it was too
> >slow.  OpenGL was abysmal.
>
>   Indeed.  I guess it's a good thing they're not game machines or
> animation workstations.  OpenGL is a niche, not a hard-and-fast
> requirement for any desktop machine.

I found it slow at 2D too.  Could have been just a really low-end board.

>   If you want good OpenGL performance, you need to look into SGI.  Suns
> aren't built for it,

Thing thing is, new versions of X are going to be using OpenGL for 2D
acceleration.  Oh well.

> and PCs are toys for "kiddiez".

Reverend Kool?  Is that you?

> >I know how fast a 300MHz Sun is, I've used them a lot.  They are
> >sometimes faster clock for click (MIPS is better at this), but that
> >can't make up for everything.
>
>   They are nearly always faster clock for clock.  However, I wasn't
> aware that you were talking exclusively about OpenGL graphics
> performance.

I'm not, my nVidia has very good 2D performance too.

> I'm sorry if that was my mistake.  Sun workstations definitely aren't
> very strong there...as that's not what they're designed to do.

> >>  Clueless.
> >
> >No, you just aren't listening.
>
>   I'm listening.  Over the past two days, I've heard you say:
>
>   - PCs are faster than workstations

No, I didn't.

>   - PCs are cheaper than workstations

I said for a given amount of power for desktop use they are cheaper.

>   - PCs are easier to get than workstations

They are.

Sure I can easily buy a few workstations easily, but I am not just
talking about you or I.

Suppose I need 500 of them?

Also, consider the point of view of the average joe.  Have you actually
seen joe-luser try to use a new workstation?

I've love to change that, but right now they have a hard time with it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.