[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 30 13:28:59 CDT 2004

On Apr 30, 2004, at 1:52 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>   If people stop buying PCs, companies will eventually stop making
>> PCs.
>>  If people stop buying Windows, eventually Microsoft will stop selling
>> Windows.
>
> This won't happen until the alternative gives the people what they like
> about a Windows PC, and for the same price.

   Agreed.  But the alternatives have been there for quite some time.

> The average joe doesn't give a damn about the rest of the picture,
> because they wouldn't understand the explanation in the first place.

   Agreed.  Because the average joe is willing to use a tool without
learning the first thing about it.  This is the root of the problem.

> The only way to win them over is to show them an alternative in terms
> they can understand.  They view computers as a tool and don't look
> under
> the hood.

   Agreed again.

> I think Apple is currently the only company doing that.

   And agreed yet again.  We're on a roll, here.

> There aren't enough "Sun U60s" to supply the market, and most people
> would feel that was a downgrade.

   Now that is just plain silly.  True there aren't enough to go around,
but there are enough to teach people the difference.  And the people
who would consider them a "downgrade" are clueless anyway.

       -Dave