Cray machines on ebay was Re: [rescue] IBM RS/6000 9076 [...]

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Fri Apr 30 12:50:54 CDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> >> Talking cray machines.
> >> Y-MP EL:
> >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> >> ViewItem&category=1484&item=3093980733
> >
> > $2500 for "no memory installed" and "no cpus installed"?
>
>    I'd like to know exactly what they're talking about here.  The
> *boards* are there...and on my EL machines, the RAM chips are soldered
> in place, and the "CPU" is about twelve very large chips.  WTF??

I would bet that they took the HTML from the CS6400 listing and pasted in
the EL part numbers. :-)  Or they just didn't know at all what to look
for, and not seeing any DIMM slots figured the memory boards were
unpopulated?  Maybe it'd be worth the time to send them an email
requesting some clearer pictures of the boards?

Repeated requests for an inventory of the 13 CS6400 cabinets resulted in a
list of "one representative system," which was virtually useless.  My
sense is that this is the kind of an outfit where you'd have better luck
showing up in person, saying "I have this much cash, take it or leave it,"
and driving off with with the gear directly instead of playing the endless
email/phone tag game. :-/

-- Chris