[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Apr 30 12:19:01 CDT 2004

Jonathan C. Patschke declared on Friday 30 April 2004 11:57 am:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >    Actually, take a closer look at your benchmarks.  Where SPARC
> > falls down is floating-point performance.  The integer performance
> > is quite good.  The FP performance has, historically, always sucked.
>
> That's what's neat about running both Suns and SGIs.  My Ultra 10 will
> just outright murder the Octane in int, but the Octane spanks it in
> FP. It's all about knowing your target audience and what sort of code
> you'll be running.
>
> There is no One Platform to serve everything, neither software nor
> hardware.

Wrong!

It's called POWER. : )

It's got great I/O, FP, and integer performance.

It'd be if the price was cheaper, though.  Even used machines, like a
200MHz 43P-260 that was EOL'd 5 years ago still go for $600+.  "Similar"
Sun workstations, like the Ultra 60, go for a fraction of that.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/