[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Apr 30 11:52:52 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:40:34AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> BTW, what I tested was a single-threaded benchmark on a 1.2GHz
> UltraSparc III+ in a Sun F6800.  One benchmark put it on par with a
> 200MHz POWER-3 based RS/6000.  I tried both GCC and figuring it was
> outputting horrible code, Sun's CC.  Sun's compiler wasn't much faster.

OS News had a guy benchmarking SunOne versus GCC as well recently, and
GCC wasn't that much worse there either.

Despite GCCs reputation as a crappy risc compiler, I'm beginning to get
the impression that it isn't that bad for SPARCs at least.  I hear PPCs
are a different story.  MIPS is definately a different story.  On the
other hand, GCC on SuperH seems decent (but we don't have any other
handy compilers to compare against, so we are comparing against
theoretical maximums).