[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 30 11:36:17 CDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> You think that machine is as fast as my Athlon PC with nVidia graphics
> on desktop applications?
>
> I think the graphics are the primary problem.  My low end, outdated
> nVidia GF2 is faster than most Creators you are likely to get in an eBay
> sale.

3D is a requirement for your desktop applications?

> Which Creator board is as fast as a typical PC 3D graphics card in 2D
> and OpenGL?  How much do they cost?

Desktop Applications != Games.

> I haven't found a used workstation with that much speed south of $1000
> anywhere.  The primary problem seems to be graphics.

You make it sound like you can't do anything without 30 OpenGL rendering
contexts on your display.  What an unusual text editor you must use!

> Evidently you don't either since you think a 300MHz Sun with low end
> graphics is as fast as a desktop PC.

For word-processing?  Sure.  Spreadsheeting?  Sure.  Web browsing?
Sure.  Email?  Absolutely.

THOSE are desktop applications.  Games are not.  3D modelling is not a
typical "desktop application"--it's a workstation application.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."