[rescue] IBM RS/6000 9076 Mainframe up on eblay

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Apr 30 10:18:58 CDT 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 08:35, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64031&item=309
>3934752
>
> Not my auction but I guess this is a good price for an IBM Mainframe?
> The seller is close
> to me as I bought a challenge from him be4 but I have no place to put
> this one at or get
> power for it.

First, it's not a mainframe.  The seller is obviously computer-
retarded. :)  It's basically a whole bunch of IBM RS/6000s connected
together via a low-latency high-speed switch.  From the 160MHz, I can
tell you they're the equivalent of a 7012-397, aka 160MHz Power2-SC, 4
MCA slots, 2 memory riser card slots (512MB ram max).

Also, the machines are (mostly) useless without the powersupply in the
bottom of the rack, as while it's a normal-ish -48VDC supply, it has a
card in it which is how you get console access (and do what would be
control the keyswitch/check the LEDs) on the machines.  You need an
RS/6000 with a copy of PSSP installed to act as a 'control workstation'
for the machines.

I'd say it's worth less than what he wants.  I personally wouldn't give
him $500 for it, as I've got something faster already and no space.  If
you want it, I'd say don't offer him more than $400 or so.

Also, if you end up getting it, beware that it's a tall (80"-ish) rack,
and you need to make sure the truck you use to move it can accomodate
it.  Also, it's going to weigh on the order of 1500-2000lbs, something
you don't want to try to tow in a pickup truck, unless you want to
disassemble/reassemble it.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/