[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Thu Apr 29 22:18:08 CDT 2004

On Thursday, April 29, 2004, at 10:02 PM, Steve Sandau wrote:
> Recently the control unit on my (hot water) furnace died. I looked at
> the sensors, the controls, and the logic it had to understand, looked
> at the stack of computer hardware in the corner, and thought... gee, I
> wonder...

Hmmm...spare IPX board...PC power supply...serial ports....hmm....
Can you run a Sun4c off of a Flash drive?  Got it!  SCSI Zip drive!  ;-)

"Honey?  Why's the heat out?"
"Because the furnace has 'The Click of Death'."

> I did finally have a furnace control put in, but I thought it would be
> *so* *cool* to say that my *furnace* ran NetBSD. My wife did not think
> that was *nearly* as cool as I did though...

Hmm..

"My water softener runs NetBSD."
"My garage door opener runs NetBSD Bluetooth."
"My sprinkler system runs NetBSD."

Nope.  None of them have the same feel as "My furnace runs NetBSD."  ;-)

Mike Hebel

----
"Bah!" - Dogbert