[rescue] Looking for Microvax 3100-40

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Apr 29 22:00:20 CDT 2004

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2004, at 1:02 PM, Mark T. Valites wrote:
>
>> Here at the $college, our dorm access swipe card system runs off a
>> Microvax 3100-40 sitting in the corner, just waiting to die.
>

>   "Waiting to die"??  You'll be waiting a long time, my friend.  I've
> literally pulled those systems out of six-month stints in mud puddles
> and had them run just fine.

If they're plotting to kill it, it's waiting to die...

I have heard of a VAX dying though.  I don't remember the details, but
when i picked up my VAXen, the guy who gave them to me told me that one
of them nearly went into emergency service running a critical
application for city buses in Indianapolis.  Their existing machine died
because it was flooded while running when a water pipe broke nearby.
But then again, maybe it lived, as i said, mine NEARLY went into
service, but it wasn't needed....

    -Dan Sikorski