[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 29 18:31:30 CDT 2004

> From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
> Date: 2004/04/29 Thu PM 09:48:37 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000
>
> On Apr 29, 2004, at 5:17 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >> A PC OS?  You mean those OSs that already run on things like the SGI
> >> 320s and 540s, not to mention PPCs, Sparcs, and Alphas (plus
> >> additional
> >> other platforms depending on which OS we are talking about).
> >
> > Yeah - but since it shares the same CPU instruction set as a PC, I'm
> > calling it a PC...
>
>    Interesting approach.
>
>    My VCR has an 8051 in it.  My air conditioner has an 8051 in it.
>
>    Since the CPUs share the same instruction set, I think I'll call my
> air conditioner a VCR.

<Hank Kingsley>
   Hey Now!
</Hank Kingsley>

That's apples and oranges - I was comparing two computers with the same
CPU/Instruction set... (Basic "PC" and imaginary PC with cool x86 CPU in an
IBM PC "incompatible" system) - I was quoted out of context ;^)

When you run an OS on a PC, it's a PC OS - if you run an OS on a mainframe,
it's a mainframe OS. I was talking about the combination of OS and platform,
NOT the OS in all it's permutations.

Back to your witty comment - if your Air conditioner has the same
interface/controls as yoru VCR, then your agrument might hold water... (Does
your AC have a Rewind button? ;^)

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net