[rescue] SGI, Origin 200, and speed?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 29 17:22:58 CDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 5:53 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>>> Curiosity: Do you have to use Craylink?
>>
>>   Uhhhhhhhh, yeah?  How else will you connect directly to the crossbar
>> switches that implement the "bus" of the Origin family?
>
> Sorry, brain->English translation failure.
>
> At NASA, Craylink was a bottleneck and the SGI rep said there would be
> replacement at some point.

   A bottleneck...?  As I understand it, it's a direct port off of one
of the crossbar switches.  It runs at memory speed.  How was it a
bottleneck?

   (not arguing with you, but VERY curious)

> I figured if they did that, they might make it available for older
> machines, and that you might know about it.

   I've not heard of any such thing, but then I'm not up to speed on
their absolute newest stuff.

> You have one of everything else it seems...

   Not yet.  But I'm working on it.  Only good stuff, though. :)

        -Dave