[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 29 16:47:54 CDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> Doesn't IBM already made some AIX POWER4 machines that are nearly as
> affordable as the G5s are?

Not if you want decent (ie: usable for anything other than scrolling
text and -really- slow 2D) graphics.  The system on my desk (at work)
was $5k list + $400 for entry graphics.  The next step up in graphics
was about $2000, IIRC.

However, for $5000, it's a damned nice system:

  1.2GHz POWER4+
  1GB memory
  36GB hard drive
  100baseTX + 1000baseTX Ethernet
  6 spare PCI-X slots and 7 spare U160 SCA bays.

It makes compiles go ZOOOOOOOM!: GCC in, like 10 minutes or less.

> And what's this about low end Sun workstations on Intel?

Sun makes low-end AMD64 servers.  I don't know of them making PCs with
heads.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."