[rescue] Re: Compaq Proliant 8000

ghub005 ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Apr 29 16:20:50 CDT 2004

Pat said:

Another company, which was giving out tape measures at the conference
(can't remember who at the moment), was showing off a really nicely
designed quad Opteron system, which I think was about $20k list.  They
payed attention to airflow, PCI busses, expandability, chassis design,
and memory slots.  It's the only quad Opteron I've seen so far that has
all 16 possible DIMM slots (4 per processor) actually put on the board.

You should have a look at the new Proliant DL585 machines that HP started
shipping last week. They have the same 4U chassis as the DL580 and
supports up to four Opterons. You can have up to two 16-slot memory
carriers which together can hold up to 64GB of RAM.

They look like really nice machines. Though like all Proliants, they're
somewhat expensive to populate.

Regards,

Gavin