[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 29 16:17:15 CDT 2004

> From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
> Date: 2004/04/29 Thu PM 08:38:47 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:43:46PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > > Not to mention getting linux, freebsd, or NetBSD onto the thing.
> >
> > That would be a completely new port for the OS (not the userland goo
> > outside the kernel), I suspect - putting a PC OS on an incompatible
> > platform would require a significant effort (at the kernel level)...
>
> A PC OS?  You mean those OSs that already run on things like the SGI
> 320s and 540s, not to mention PPCs, Sparcs, and Alphas (plus additional
> other platforms depending on which OS we are talking about).

Yeah - but since it shares the same CPU instruction set as a PC, I'm calling it a PC...

> In linux, compiling between a regular PC and a 320 consists of checking
> a single option.

Indicating that Linux was ported to the 320 platform - the level of effort involved would most certainly be driven by the amount of divergence from the "standard" PC Architecture...

Wow, what happened to that "no x86 talk on Rescue" idea ;^)