[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 29 14:50:33 CDT 2004

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 @ 13:16 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > What about the idea that all cards would run a FORTH BIOS, so that they
> > could be used on any system?
> >
> > Why didn't that ever take off?
>
> Apple, Sun, and IBM seem to think it has.  An increasing number of cards
> is portable between systems.  OpenFirmware is a wonderful thing.

Then why do the cards not work when I move them to other systems?

I can often use them as a secondary, but can't seem to boot from them.

For example, putting a non-Apple video card in an Apple.  Can't boot
with it, but it seems fine as a secondary display card.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The trade of governing has always been
monopolized by the most ignorant and the most rascally individuals of