[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 29 14:45:03 CDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 3:35 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>>> PCs aren't very good, but they are inexpensive, popular, and hard to
>>> compete with.
>>
>>    I don't have to compete with them.  I just exercise my own judgment
>> and free will, and I....[wait for it]...
>>
>>    DON'T BUY THEM.
>
> Well, yesh, but I was thinking about the manufacturing side of things.
>  Even
> you and I can only buy what's available.  I don't have the resources to
> build a computer from scratch, or even from chips.  You may, but I'll
> bet
> you have more profitable things to do with your time.

   Well actually I'm doing exactly that right now, but probably on a
smaller scale than you're thinking.

> The PC's biggest competitor for the desktop/laptop is the Macintosh,
> and it
> gets, what, 7% of the market?  8%?

   ...and 9% next month, 10% the following...

>   Something in the single digits, anyway.
> Imagine trying to break into the desktop/laptop computer market today,
> with
> something that's not a PC ('cause they suck) and not a Macintosh
> ('cause
> Apple will sue you into the 9th dimension).  Even Sun and SGI can't
> really
> compete in that market; they sell "desktop" machines, but in low
> volumes
> even when compared to Apple.  Sun and SGI aren't exactly coining money
> these
> days, either.

   Sun has billions in the bank...I wouldn't worry too much about them.
SGI's suits are the dumbest in the industry, though...it's those folks
we have to worry about.

> So, you're right, we don't have to buy 'em, but the manufacturers have
> build 'em, 'cause that's what they can sell.

   I wasn't aware that any of us was in the manufacturing business.  I
thought we were primarily users here, not manufacturers.

        -Dave